I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. You don’t have to use these links, but I am grateful to you if you do. American Express, Citibank, Chase, Capital One and other banks are advertising partners of this site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same).
There’s no quicker and easier way to earn a large amount of miles quickly than with a new credit card. And before the holidays is the perfect time to get one, because it’s even easier than the rest of the year to meet the minimum spending requexired to earn signup bonuses.
Every month I post what I find are the best signup bonus offers out there. Several of last month’s offers are gone or changed, and new better offers have arrived. So here’s the current up to date list of best initial card bonus deals.
Here are the cards I consider to have the very best initial bonus offers right now:
- Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card has an 80,000 point signup bonus after $5000 spend within 3 months. That can even be enough for a roundtrip business class award ticket between the US and Europe. (Chase points are super valuable because they transfer directly to a variety of airlines and hotels.)
It earns 3 points per dollar on travel — that’s airlines, hotels, rental cars, tolls, even Uber — and 3 points per dollar on shipping and advertising on social media and search engines, so great for anyone who advertises on Facebook or Twitter, or who spends money advertising with Google. It also comes with $600 protection against theft or damage when you use it to pay your cell phone.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card lets you earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
This is the card to get started with. Get Sapphire Reserve later, perhaps product change to it after a year, this is the easier card to get approved for and it has a better annual fee.
Points transfer to United, Hyatt, Southwest, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Singapore Airlines, JetBlue, Air France KLM, JetBlue, Iberia, Aer Lingus, Marriott Rewards, and IHG Rewards Club. Probably the best all-around credit card, certainly for getting started in the hobby, and with a great signup bonus.
In fact since it has a bigger initial bonus offer than Sapphire Reserve (and you can’t get bonuses for both), and is easier to get approved for, a great strategy if you want Sapphire Reserve is to get the Sapphire Preferred card and ask Chase to product change in a year. In general Chase doesn’t approve this card for folks who have signed up for 5 or more new card accounts in the past 24 months, it’s the first card you should apply for.
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card is offering 80,000 Rapid Rewards points with $5000 spend within 3 months. Earning 110,000 points in a year (including from Southwest credit cards, flights, online shopping through their portal) earns a Companion Pass which allows you to take a designated companion with you for just security taxes when you fly Southwest even on points. A companion pass effectively doubles the value of your points, making 80,000 points worth nearly $2400 in travel.
The card rebates the cost of four A1 – A15 boardings per year and also the fee for Southwest Airlines wifi service up to 365 times per year.
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Business Mastercard® best-ever offer with an initial bonus up to 75,000 miles: 65,000 miles after $1000 in purchases within 90 days and 10,000 more miles for making a purchase with an employee card. The card has a $95 annual fee which does apply first year.
- Citi Premier℠ Card has a largest-ever offer of 60,000 points after $4000 spend within your first 3 months of cardmembership. The card has a $95 annual fee and earns three points on travel including gas stations and two points on restaurants and entertainment. Points transfer to a variety of airline frequent flyer programs.
Citibank points transfer to Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- Ink Business Unlimited(SM) Credit Card is included here because while its initial bonus is $500 bonus cash back after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening, the value of the bonus shoots up if you have a Chase card whose points transfer to miles like Chase Sapphire Preferred.
Transfer these points to that other Chase card and then those points transfer to miles. And it’s a no annual fee card that earns unlimited 1.5 points per dollar for ongoing spend.
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® is offering 60,000 AAdvantage® miles after $3,000 in purchases in first 4 months. This card has a $0 annual fee the first year (then $99).
I Flew Qantas First Class Using AAdvantage Miles This Year With My Wife and Daughter
- Hawaiian Airlines® World Elite Mastercard® has a limited time offer to earn 60,000 bonus miles after spending $2,000 on purchases in the first 90 days. And the card’s $99 annual fee is $0 the first year – something I don’t see often for this card.
You receive a one-time 50% off companion discount for roundtrip coach travel between Hawaii and North America on Hawaiian Airlines, and an annual $100 companion discount for roundtrip travel between Hawaii and North America on Hawaiian Airlines after each account anniversary.
- The World Of Hyatt Credit Card is fantastic for anyone who likes Hyatt. It makes earning elite status easier, and spending is rewarding — for Hyatt stays, for bonus categories, and because of the additional free night after $15,000 in spend each cardmember year.
The initial offer is to earn up to 50,000 Bonus Points – 25,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening plus an additional 25,000 Bonus Points after you spend a total of $6,000 on purchases within the first 6 months of account opening.
You’ll receive 1 free night every year after your cardmember anniversary at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort and earn an extra free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort if you spend $15,000 during your cardmember anniversary year.
The card lets you get automatic World of Hyatt Discoverist status for as long as your account is open and 5 qualifying night credits toward your next tier status every year and also earn 2 qualifying night credits towards your next tier status every time you spend $5,000 on your card.
Park Hyatt Sydney Opera Deluxe Room is akin to a Junior Suite
Think there’s a card that belongs on this list but isn’t here, leave a comment!