News and notes from around the interweb:
- The 13 all-time ugliest airplanes
- This passenger claims the Turkish Airlines check-in agent “talked about my mother” and melts down, encouraging the carrier to have the police respond.
- Why businesses already have your new credit card expiration date and security code when you get an updated card. You probably agreed to this when you signed up for recurring payments.
An automatic updater service can update everything from expiration dates and account numbers to CVV numbers and closed account notices for businesses that process a ton of credit cards. Provided by a credit card network (Visa, Mastercard, etc.), the service allows retailers to send a list of accounts on a regular basis for updating.
Depending on when those lists get sent back and forth, your subscriptions could get updated before you receive your new card in the mail. Some account updater services even offer real-time updates that are triggered after a card has been declined once for a recurring payment.
- If more Marriotts offered Bonvoy members ice cream, that could go a long way towards a rapprochement with the program!
— Roni Walakandou (@roniwalakandou) May 18, 2019
- Glowing profile of American Airlines CEO Doug Parker for taking his compensation in stock rather than cash
- Doug Parker’s commencement address at Southern Methodist University. He talks about how divisive it is to discuss divisiveness (though doesn’t want to encourage everyone to become more United, natch). He longs for a past where the media supposedly was careful with facts and balanced.
Polarization of course dates back before the American founding, and the media’s past is not nearly so glorious. Indeed at the end of the 18th century the two US political parties each sponsored a nationwide network of weekly newspapers whose purpose was to attack the other.
- Going above and beyond for an obviously very important passenger!
Lmao the flight attendant was like “I’m sure it was a very important phone call, we’re just going to bring you back to the gate so you can finish it” 😭😭😂😂
— who is she (@mghnglnn) May 17, 2019