I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. You don’t have to use these links, but I am grateful to you if you do. American Express, Citibank, Chase, Capital One and other banks are advertising partners of this site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same).
IHG Rewards Club – the loyalty program for Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn and related brands — is offering a bonus up to 100% on purchased points through March 22. This applies to purchases of 7000 or more points. (HT: One Mile at a Time)
What’s even better is that IHG recently dropped the regular price of points to a penny apiece, so with a 100% bonus you’re buying points for $0.005 each. They’ve also increased the number of points you can buy in a year to 100,000.
They do make you validate your IHG Rewards Club account information. Some accounts may receive a different offer.
The points are processed by Points.com so this doesn’t count as hotel spend for credit card bonuses.
Club Lounge at the Intercontinental Kuala Lumpur
Personally I’d value IHG points at $0.006 apiece so if you can buy 200,000 points for $1000 — $0.005 each — and you have a vision for using them then I think it’s a pretty good deal, though bear in mind that:
- It’s long been possible to buy points at 7/10ths of a cent apiece whenever one wishes and sometimes less. So the gain by acting right away is marginal.
- And you can earn points much less expensively. I’ll get to that in a moment.
- However you likely won’t get hurt at this price. And I don’t believe I’ve ever seen IHG sell points for less.
For those who have acquired fewer than 5 new credit cards in the last 24 months the better play for IHG points is the best-ever offer for the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card to earn an initial bonus up to 120,000 points.
- You earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account
- Plus an additional 40,000 bonus points after spending a total of $5,000 on purchases within 6 months of account opening