I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. You don’t have to use these links, but I am grateful to you if you do. American Express, Citibank, Chase, Capital One and other banks are advertising partners of this site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same).
There’s no quicker and easier way to earn a large amount of miles quickly than with a new credit card. And before the holidays is the perfect time to get one, because it’s even easier than the rest of the year to meet the minimum spending required to earn signup bonuses.
Every month I post what I find are the best signup bonus offers out there. Several of last month’s offers are gone or changed, and new offers have arrived. So here’s the current up to date list of best initial card bonus deals.
Here are the cards I consider to have the very best initial bonus offers right now:
- Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card has an 80,000 point signup bonus after $5000 spend within 3 months. That can even be enough for a roundtrip business class award ticket between the US and Europe. (Chase points are super valuable because they transfer directly to a variety of airlines and hotels.)
It earns 3 points per dollar on travel — that’s airlines, hotels, rental cars, tolls, even Uber — and 3 points per dollar on shipping and advertising on social media and search engines, so great for anyone who advertises on Facebook or Twitter, or who spends money advertising with Google. It also comes with $600 protection against theft or damage when you use it to buy your cell phone.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card lets you earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. [Offer expired]
With a $0 annual fee the first year, then $95, I suggest that as the number on card to get started with in miles and points. Get Sapphire Reserve later, perhaps product change to it after a year, this is the easier card to get approved for and it has a better annual fee.
Points transfer to United, Hyatt, Southwest, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Singapore Airlines, JetBlue, Air France KLM, Marriott Rewards, IHG Rewards Club, and Ritz-Carlton. Probably the best all-around credit card, certainly for getting started in the hobby, and with a great signup bonus.
The card earns two points on travel and dining at restaurants and 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide. The card has an introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95.
Transfer Points and Redeem for Singapore Airlines
Since in general Chase doesn’t approve this card for folks who have signed up for 5 or more new card accounts in the past 24 months, it’s the first card you should apply for.
- UnitedSM Explorer Business Card has a limited time offer to earn 75,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. The card has a $0 annual fee the first year, then $95. [Offer expired]
You receive 2 United Club passes each year with card renewal, a free checked bag, and priority boarding.
This is actually a really good offer for the card, the best public offer for it I’ve ever seen. A few years ago I got excited when it was available with just 50,000 miles. And the spending requirement for the bonus miles is reasonable to boot.
- Barclays AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red World Elite Mastercard® has an offer to earn 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after first purchase within 90 days of account opening and paying the card’s $95 annual fee.
Cardmembers receive one free checked bag (on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation) and preferred boarding on American Airlines domestic itineraries. You get 10% of your miles back (up to 10,000 rebated per calendar year) when you redeem miles.
- Ink Business Unlimited(SM) Credit Card is included here because while its initial bonus is $500 bonus cash back after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening, the value of the bonus shoots up if you have a Chase card whose points transfer to miles like Chase Sapphire Preferred.
Transfer these points to that other Chase card and then those points transfer to miles. And it’s a no annual fee card that earns unlimited 1.5 points per dollar for ongoing spend.
- Citi Premier℠ Card has an initial bonus of 50,000 points after $4000 spend within your first 3 months of cardmembership. The card’s $95 annual fee is waived for the first 12 months. It earns three points on travel including gas stations and two points on restaurants and entertainment. Points transfer to a variety of airline frequent flyer programs.
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express has a limited time offer to earn 75,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles after you make $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months. You also earn a $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new card within your first 3 months. This is available through April 3, 2019.
You’ll get Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights and first bag free on Delta flights. The card provides a domestic economy roundtrip companion certificate each year on account renewal and spend on the card can earn elite qualifying miles (capped at $50,000 spend in a calendar year to earn 20,000 elite qualifying miles and 20,000 bonus miles).
- IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card will let you earn up to 120,000 points: 80,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account and 40,000 more bonus points after spending a total of $5,000 on purchases within 6 months of account opening.
The card comes with Platinum status, a free night after each account anniversary year, and a free reward night on points stays of 4 or more nights. (That’s better than the ‘5th night free’ and amounts to a 25% discount on four night award stays.)
Cardmembers receive platinum status for as long as they remain a cardmember. There’s a Global Entry or TSA Precheck fee credit (up to $100 every 4 years) as well.
- Marriott Bonvoy BoundlessTM Credit Card has an initial bonus offer of 100,000 points after $5000 spend on purchases in the first 3 months of cardmembership. It also comes with an annual free nightafter each account anniversary valued for hotels which cost up to 35,000 points.
Al Maha Desert Resort
- Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card has a limited time offer to earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. This offer ends April 24, 2019.
Cardmembers receive a Free Night Award every year after account anniversary. This can be used for one night whose redemption is 35,000 points or less.
- British Airways Visa Signature® Card lets you earn 4 Avios for every $1 spent on all purchases within your first year up to $30,000. That’s up to 120,000 bonus Avios.
And if you spend $30,000 in a calendar year you earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years which can double the value of your Avios on a single redemption for 2 people.
So you’ll earn 4 Avios for every $1 spent on all purchases up to $30,000 in the first 12 months from account opening, you will then earn 3 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
British Airways First Class
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® has a best-ever offer of 70,000 miles after $5000 spend on purchases within 90 days of cardmembership. When you redeem points at a penny apiece towards travel you get 5% of your points back, and you can redeem those at a penny apiece towards travel, and get 5% of your… I view this as $735.
There’s no annual fee the first year, which is also fairly new. It hasn’t always been the case that the card’s $89 fee has been $0 the first year. So first year you’ve got that initial bonus without deduction.
- The World Of Hyatt Credit Card is fantastic for anyone who likes Hyatt. It makes earning elite status easier, and spending is rewarding — for Hyatt stays, for bonus categories, and because of the additional free night after $15,000 in spend each cardmember year.
The initial offer is to earn up to 50,000 Bonus Points – 25,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening plus an additional 25,000 Bonus Points after you spend a total of $6,000 on purchases within the first 6 months of account opening.
You’ll receive 1 free night every year after your cardmember anniversary at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort and earn an extra free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort if you spend $15,000 during your cardmember anniversary year.
The card lets you get automatic World of Hyatt Discoverist status for as long as your account is open and 5 qualifying night credits toward your next tier status every year and also earn 2 qualifying night credits towards your next tier status every time you spend $5,000 on your card.
Park Hyatt Sydney Opera Deluxe Room is akin to a Junior Suite
Think there’s a card that belongs on this list but isn’t here, leave a comment!