News and notes from around the interweb:
- Waiting for ridesharing services at New York LaGuardia has gotten so frustrating that Max Prosperi Uber has opened a mini waiting lounge there with power ports and staff to help contact drivers which under normal circumstances would never be necessary.
Meanwhile taxis and ridesharing has been relegated to the far reaches of the earth at my home airport in Austin, downstairs from the new car rental center, truly terrible to schlep to with luggage.
- More evidence that Qatar Airways CEO Akbar al-Baker is, if nothing else, aviation’s greatest troll. Plastered all American Airlines terminal 8 at New York JFK (which Qatar uses for part of their New York operation):
- I rate this claim false:
- I wasn’t home for Valentine’s Day but I returned to a card from United Airlines. I get the sense though that no matter how promiscuous they may be with such cards that I am likely not one of their Valentines…
- British Midland Regional (‘flybmi’), the part of former Star Alliance member bmi that British Airways didn’t acquire seven years ago, has ceased operations with immediate effect blaming fuel prices and the uncertainty surroundig Brexit.
- Here’s the memo from the Southwest Airlines mechanics’ union in response to the airline’s ‘state of emergency’ which requires mechanics to show up to work in the face of a slowdown.
- Scorpion in the cabin of a Lion Air plane.
View this post on Instagram
Kejadian tak terduga pada penerbangan Lion Air JT 293, Pku-Jkt, 14 Feb 2019. Tiba-tiba muncul kalajengking (scorpion) di tempat penyimpanan bagasi di atas tempat duduk. Persis di atas kepala saya. Semoga ada langkah penanganan yang serius dan pihak Lion Air. #kalajengkingdipesawat #kalajengkingdilionair #hororkalajengkinglionair #terbangbersamakalajengking #scorpionatlionair #flightwithscorpion