News and notes from around the interweb:
- Department of Taking Things Literally Families get priority boarding, but this brain surgeon tried to argue his way into priority boarding when he wasn’t traveling with his child. It’s almost hard to believe this happened.
- Airline algorithms recommending absurd itineraries (HT: Jeff W.)
- Commercial air travel is incredibly safe. There were fatalities in 2018, while there were none im 2017. Stop dramatizing the increase, and by the way claiming a 900% year-over-year increase when the prior year’s denominator is zero is also bad math.
"This isn’t the worst year in airline safety in the past decade by any means, but that massive spike in fatalities is certainly something to be concerned about."
Seriously, GTFO https://t.co/kwF4ey0Ycg
— AwfulAviationReporting (@AwfulAviation) December 30, 2018
- Marriott Rewards only promises a ‘continental’ breakfast to 50+ night elite members. Legacy Marriott resorts with club lounges do not have to make those available to Platinums. And each hotel seems to decide for themselves what continental means. That’s why the program appears to check the box of ‘breakfast’ while disappointing so many elites.
@OneMileataTime @garyleff @FrequentMiler This is another reason why you are not nuts to leave Marriott. You get a small coffee or tea, a cup of fruits, and a pastry of the day for Platinum free breakfast at Wailea Beach Resort. pic.twitter.com/KQGbQ8VicC
— アメリカ在住陸マイラー家族の野望 (@rikumiley) December 30, 2018
- Why people are obsessed with the carpet in the Nashville airport
- Let’s all resolve to be happier when we fly.
Little kid just boarded flight and sat in front of me, singing and clapping. Older man gave a frustrated look and I'm just thinking, "why aren't adults as happy as this little boy when they fly?"
— Becky Pokora (@sightDOING) December 30, 2018