I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. You don’t have to use these links, but I am grateful to you if you do. American Express, Citibank, Chase, Capital One and other banks are advertising partners of this site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same).
Singapore Airlines offers one of the world’s best business class products. The seats are fully flat with all aisle access. The biggest knock on them is that passengers do lay flat at an angle. However I love the service and the ability to pre-order meals from a set of choices well beyond what would otherwise be on the aircraft anyway. I find Singapore’s main meals to be very good.
Their premium economy offers a very good soft product. They actually serve champagne in premium economy. I do wish the seats were about an inch wider.
The Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer program is a must for US-based customers to be aware of, because:
- Singapore offers good award space to members using KrisFlyer miles
- KrisFlyer miles are easy to come by, since they’re a transfer partner of American Express, Chase, Citibank, and Capital One
With Singapore aggressively growing service in the U.S. and with their Los Angeles and Newark non-stop flights not offering regular coach there is a glut of premium seats, especially premium economy seats. That’s great for award travel.
Right now Singapore is discounting award redemption on their U.S. non-stop flights which means San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Newark to Singapore (in each direction). Premium economy awards are on sale on all three routes, and business class is on sale from LAX.
- Book by December 31
- Travel in February
- Redemptions are 30% off
KrisFlyer does not add fuel surcharges to award travel on Singapore Airlines, and normally charges:
- 65,000 miles each way for premium economy and 88,000 for business class between Los Angeles/San Francisco and Singapore
- 70,000 miles each way for premium economy and 92,000 for business class between Newark and Singapore
This is the redemption pricing with 30% off:
Here’s premium economy availability for 2 passengers on the world’s longest flight Newark – Singapore:
Here’s premium economy availability for 2 passengers Los Angeles – Singapore:
Not quite as good but still good, here’s premium economy availability for 2 passengers San Francisco – Singapore:
The San Francisco flight is operated by an Airbus A350 but not the ultra long range version, thus the premium economy cabin is much smaller.
The only route currently discounting business class award space is Los Angeles – Singapore and here’s what availability looks like for two. You’re looking for flights 35 and 36 which is where most of the space is.
January travel within Asia is also discounted 30% on several routes.
Get Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles:
- Chase: Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card offer 80,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. Chase Sapphire Preferred Card offers 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening and has an introductory annual fee of $0 the first year, then $95.
- American Express: I’m making great use of my American Express® Gold Card to earn 4 points per dollar at US restaurants and on the first $25,000 spent each year at US supermarkets.
- Citibank: Citi Premier℠ Card has an initial bonus of 50,000 points after $4000 spend within your first 3 months of cardmembership. The card’s $95 annual fee is waived for the first 12 months. It earns triple points on travel including gas stations and double points on dining out and entertainment.
- Capital One: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card has a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening and a $0 intro for first year; $95 after that. Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business has a bonus to earn up to 200,000 miles. Earn a bonus of 50,000 miles when you spend $5,000 in the first 3 months of opening your account Plus, earn 150,000 miles when you spend $50,000 within the first 6 months. There’s a $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that. Points transfer 2:1 into Singapore.