News and notes from around the interweb:
- ‘Spend the minimum’: How Lion Air hid equipment failures and beat regulators
- Why your mental map of the world is probably so far off (HT: Marginal Revolution)
Paris is further north than Montreal, Barcelona is at a similar latitude as Chicago, and Venice lines up with Portland, Oregon.
- New Kimpton secret password is ‘chilled to perfection’
- Russian space agency says they’ll verify whether US moon landings really happened I mean there’s never been a good explanation of how the American flag can be waving in the moon’s atmosphere, right??
- Photos – Concorde’s last flight
- Emirates Skywards, which reports 23 million members, is offering double elite qualifying miles for Flex and Flex Plus (Emirates) and ‘Free to Change’ or ‘Business ‘Basic’ (flydubai) tickets booked November 26 – December 3 and flown by March 31. Registration required.
I hate promotions that exclude previously purchased tickets (and previously booked hotel nights) with the intensity of 1000 suns. Programs want to ensure they invest only in actions taken by members at the margin, but the message is clear – already-loyal customers are the least valued.