News and notes from around the interweb:
- After two years the Zero card offering up to 3% cash back as a debit card has launched, so far only for iOS. It acts like a debit card but runs transactions through a credit card payment network.
- Rover, the pet-sitting app, is surveying members about what they’d want in a loyalty program.
- Singapore Airlines is offering elite status matches to elite members of Alibaba’s travel booking platform. American tried something similar this year. Everyone is aggressively courting Chinese customers.
- 10% – 30% targeted transfer bonuses from Membership Rewards to Virgin Atlantic I wasn’t targeted.
- Amtrak ‘only’ lost $168 million in its recently-completed fiscal year provided you exclude depreciation and ‘other expenses’ under ex-Delta CEO Richard Anderson who didn’t used to favor subsidies but whose job it now is to lobby for them.
- How America West became the world’s largest airline.
- Glare from the future American Airlines headquarters building is so bright drivers nearby Gotta Wear Shades (HT: @danluttrell)