News and notes from around the interweb:
- Marriott elite choice benefits are live
- United will fly Newark to Naples and Prague and San Francisco – Amsterdam.
- Two new restaurants at the San Francisco airport accept Priority Pass: San Francisco Giants Clubhouse near gate 82 and Yankee Pier near gate 72 (the American Express Centurion lounge is near gate 74). These are most convenient to United passengers. (HT: One Mile at a Time)
- If you don’t count all of Amtrak’s costs then they aren’t losing as much money. There is some legitimate criticism here – accounting at Amtrak is poor, they mostly know how much all of Amtrak costs but they have a poor grasp of the economics of each route. So they make allocations. That doesn’t give them the best information to work from for decision-making. But it doesn’t mean you just remove the allocations to get real numbers, it’s fantasy to think that many of their routes come close to breaking even.
- The world’s 10 oldest airlines still flying
- A 13 year old girl has advice for how not to get beaten up the next time you fly, “If you get bumped by somebody with a bag, don’t yell at them, call them names. Just apologize. Walk away and everything will be fine.”
— FOX31 Denver KDVR (@KDVR) August 28, 2018
- Wandering Aramean appreciates the way Crazy Rich Asians is a travelogue of Singapore, in much the way I’ve always appreciated the way Ferris Bueller’s Day Off was a travelogue of Chicago (and Up in the Air an ad for American Airlines).