News and notes from around the interweb:
- Was the newlywed who stole a plane shot down?f
- US airlines ranked by their snacks Why do articles like these always get their facts wrong? American doesn’t serve Illy coffee, it’s Fresh
- Family sues United for $10 million for breaking their daughter’s wheel chair even though United has already paid to fix it.
- American cancelled flights to Haiti amidst violent protests there over fuel price increases
- I think I read about this in my freshman econ class. Venezuela caps airfare prices below their market price, so demand exceeds supply. They impose currency controls and airlines can’t get access to foreign currency to buy spare parts. (No one wants Venezuelan currency because of hyperinflation and because of limits on repatriating funds.)
The domestic air fleet has shrunk 80 percent since 2014 to around 20 functioning aircraft, the Venezuelan air industry association Ceveta says, leaving Venezuelans struggling to travel to visit relatives or receive medical treatment.
…For domestic flights, airlines now typically sell only one-way tickets. When people want to return home from a trip, they usually have to line up at the airport on the day they hope to travel.
Ismelida Fernandez said she flew to Caracas from Margarita Island with her sister to get treatment for a brain tumor and had to wait 24 hours to get a return ticket.
“My sister was crying all night from the pain in her head,” said Fernandez, at the Maiquetia airport outside Caracas last week. She said she was still on a waiting list to fly home, adding, “It makes me feel completely helpless.”
…Airlines are not allowed to sell tickets for domestic flights above the prices set by the government. Flights generally cost about half the price of a taxi ride to the airport.
But getting hold of tickets usually requires buying them from intermediaries for more than double their list price.
…At the Maiquetia airport, groups of people routinely wait for two or three days, sitting on their suitcases or on the ground, in hopes of getting on a flight.
- If you get a friend with a Costco membership to buy you Costco Cash you can use it to shop there without being a member
Copyright jetcityimage / 123RF Stock Photo