I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. You don’t have to use these links, but I am grateful to you if you do. American Express, Citibank, Chase, Capital One and other banks are advertising partners of this site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same).
There’s no quicker and easier way to earn a large amount of miles quickly than with a new credit card. And before the holidays is the perfect time to get one, because it’s even easier than the rest of the year to meet the minimum spending required to earn signup bonuses.
Every month I post what I find are the best signup bonus offers out there. Over the past several months we’ve seen several that are new and bigger, even 100,000 point offers.
Here are the cards I consider to have the very best signup bonus offers right now:
- Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card has an 80,000 point signup bonus after $5000 spend within 3 months. That can even be enough for a roundtrip business class award ticket between the US and Europe. (Chase points are super valuable because they transfer directly to a variety of airlines and hotels.)
It earns 3 points per dollar on travel — that’s airlines, hotels, rental cars, tolls, even Uber — and 3 points per dollar on shipping and advertising on social media and search engines, so great for anyone who advertises on Facebook or Twitter, or who spends money advertising with Google. It also comes with $600 protection against theft or damage when you use it to buy your cell phone. ‘5/24’ applies.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card lets you earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
With a $0 annual fee the first year, then $95, I suggest that as the number on card to get started with in miles and points. Get Sapphire Reserve later, perhaps, the card’s annual fee makes this the one to get first.
Points transfer to United, Hyatt, Southwest, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Singapore Airlines, Korean Air, Air France KLM, Marriott Rewards, IHG Rewards Club, and Ritz-Carlton. Probably the best all-around credit card, certainly for getting started in the hobby, and with a great signup bonus.
The card earns two points on travel and dining at restaurants and 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide. The card has an introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95.
Transfer Points and Redeem for Singapore Airlines
Since in general Chase doesn’t approve this card for folks who have signed up for 5 or more new card accounts in the past 24 months, it’s the first card you should apply for.
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®: 70,000 mile initial bonus after spending $4,000 within the first 4 months of account opening. This card has a $0 annual fee the first year (then $95).
Cardmembers receive one free checked bag and preferred boarding on American Airlines flights and a companion ticket after $30,000 in spend each year. The 60,000 point offer is gone from both the Citi and Barclays personal AAdvantage cards so I’m surprised to see this Citi bumping up their bonus to a best-ever offer.
- British Airways Visa Signature® Card is offering a signup bonus of up to 100,000 Avios:
- Earn 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. Earn an additional 25,000 bonus Avios after you spend $10,000 total on purchases within your first year of account opening for a total of 75,000 bonus Avios. Earn a further 25,000 bonus Avios after you spend $20,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening for a total of 100,000 bonus Avios.
If you spend $30,000 in a calendar year to earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years which can double the value of your Avios on a single redemption for 2 people.
Chase’s 5/24 reportedly does not apply. There are similar offers for the Aer Lingus and Iberia versions of this card.
British Airways First Class
- Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN offers 50,000 Membership Rewards points after $5,000 spend on purchases with the card within your first 3 months of cardmembership.
American Express Points Transfer Directly to Etihad
- The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN now has a limited-time 100,000 point initial offer — valid through August 8, 2018 and with a high spend requirement. You earn 50,000 points after you spend $10,000 & an additional 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of cardmmbership.
It’s also the card with the best benefits. The value proposition here is airline lounges and elite status. It comes with Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold (matches to Marriot Gold), and National Car Rental Executive status. It gets you into Centurion lounges, Delta lounges (when flying Delta), and gives you a Priority Pass card for lounge access. There’s a $200 airline fee credit and the card earns 1.5 points per dollar on purchases of $5000 or more. And this $450 annual fee card is now metal. Here’s my personal version of the card:
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card has an offer to earn 60,000 points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
You earn 6,000 bonus points after your cardmember anniversary, a nice incentive to keep this $99 annual fee card.
While you can no longer get two different personal Southwest cards, you may be approved for a personal and a small business card, the fasted way to a Southwest Companion Pass which is earned after 110,000 points in a year (credit card points including signup bonus points count).
- Chase Sapphire Reserve Card 50,000 point signup bonus after $4000 spend within 3 months; triple points on travel and dining; Priority Pass Select membership with free guests; $300 travel credit make this new Visa Infinite card from Chase with a $450 annual fee the most exciting new entrant of the year. 5/24 applies. Note this is not my referral link, information about the product is neither provided nor reviewed by its issuer.
- Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card has an initial bonus to earn 100,000 Points after spending $5,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening with the new Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card! In addition you receive a free night award that can be used at hotels which cost up to 35,000 points to redeem each year after account anniversary.
Starwood’s Al Maha Desert Resort – Base Room is a Standalone Villa With Private Pool
- IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card has an initial bonus offer is 80,000 points after $2000 spend within 3 months and 5,000 points after you add your first authorized user and make a purchase in the first three months.
The card comes with Platinum status, a free night after each account anniversary year, and a free reward night on points stays of 4 or more nights. (That’s better than the ‘5th night free’ from Starwood and from Hilton, and amounts to a 25% discount on four night award stays.)
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® has an offer to earn 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.
There’s a $0 annual fee the first year, then $99. Cardmembers receive one free checked bag and preferred boarding on American Airlines flights.
- Citi ThankYou® Premier Card recently had no signup bonus at all but is now offering 50,000 points after $4000 spend within your first 3 months of cardmembership.
The card’s $95 annual fee is waived for the first 12 months. It earns triple points on travel including gas stations and double points on dining out and entertainment.
Points transfer to a variety of airline frequent flyer programs (or can be used to purchase airfare directly at thankyou.com at 1.25 cents apiece). They can also be used for gift cards at 1 cent apiece.
- Hilton Honors Ascend Card from American Express has an initial bonus of up to 100,000 point after $3,000 in purchases within your first 3 months. Plus earn a free weekend night award after your first anniversary of cardmembership. This limited-time offer ends June 27, 2018.
Each year you spend $15,000 on the card you’ll earn a weekend night reward, and $40,000 in a calendar year earns Hilton Diamond status through the end of the next calendar year. (The card comes with Gold status.) Notably the The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card has a limited-time offer through June 27, 2018 as well – 125,000 points after $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months of cardmembership.
Think there’s a card that belongs on this list but isn’t here, leave a comment!