News and notes from around the interweb:
- Air India flight diverted to Milwaukee and sat on the ground for hours. You ever been to Milwaukee??
- Up to 13,200 Avios for The Economist (HT: Turning Left for Less)
- PointsHound has added Priceline’s hotel inventory
- Before Etihad decided they didn’t like losing so much money South African Airways almost got a capital injection from them. South African was enough of a basket case that the Mideast airline which invested in Alitalia wouldn’t write a check. Now the Johannesburg-based airline is getting $400 million from the government — and that’s only expected to last ‘through October/November’.
- Hotel occupancy and room rates continue to rise that’s why hotel loyalty program promotions are so weak.
- Richard Quest interviews Emirates’ CEO on a potential pilot strike, higher fuel costs, problems in the Mideast and competition from ultra long range aircraft that could circumvent the need to connect in hubs like Dubai.