With Marriott and Starwood moving ever closer towards combining into a single loyalty program, it’s telling that they’ve just launched their new promotion for spring and into summer and the promotions for each program are nearly identical: Marriott Rewards MegaBonus and SPG More Nights, More Starpoints.
- Marriott offers 750 points per night starting with your third night during the promotion period, up to 36,000 bonus points. (Marriott ExecuStay, Marriott Executive Apartments and Marriott Vacation Club® owner-occupied weeks are excluded.)
- Starwood is offering 250 points per night starting with your third night during the promotion period, up to 12000 points total, at participating hotels.
Since Starwood points transfer to Marriott at a ratio of 1:3, the earning and caps here are equivalent. The major difference is which hotels are excluded from each promotion.
You should register for both because:
- Earning remains separate in each of the Starwood and Marriott programs
- Even if you don’t expect to stay with one or the other chain, if a stay creeps up you will never remember to register later.
- The links are right here in this post and it takes mere seconds to set it and forget it.
Promotions which require registration are a way for programs to limit their cost to only reward people who know about a deal. Make sure you’re one of those people.