News and notes from around the interweb:
- Lufthansa Miles & More will introduce family mileage pooling in May notably their JetFriends kids program offers a 2000 mile bonus.
- Brian Sumers interviews American AAdvantage President Bridget Blaise-Shamai
- American Express’ new lounge in the Melbourne, Australia airport will open March 27. This is not a Centurion lounge, and it’s managed by Plaza Premium, similar to their lounge in Sydney.
- Covering the story of United eliminating quarterly bonuses in favor of a cost-saving lottery and then pausing that decision, it’s notable how quickly that all played out, that it ‘wouldn’t have happened that way a decade ago’ though the author of the piece doesn’t realize I’ve been writing since 2002 and that Flyertalk predates me..
There wouldn’t have been robust internal networks, or Facebook groups, or flight attendants and gate crew reading the stories and posting online via their phones. (And, there wouldn’t have been places like Inc.com, or Flyer Talk, or View From the Wing, or the like, to pick up on the story.)
- Emirates has an appearance management program and they have concerns about overweight crew. Appearance and grooming standards for flight attendants are very different outside the U.S. Here’s some details on the Singapore Airlines program.
- Fight breaks out on Southwest Airlines flight from Dallas to Los Angeles
- It’s not the awesome ‘Understanding Your Needs’ campaign from four years ago — advertising that actually got to the unique selling proposition of Singapore Airlines, because it’s hard to imagine any other airline pulling off the same narrative — but Singapore’s new commercial is excellent, ending with their new inflight products. (HT: One Mile at a Time)