Delta and United rescinded their group discount offer for NRA members over the weekend. United is based in Chicago and we expect gun violence there I guess. But Delta has taken a lot of heat for their position and tried to walk it back claiming they weren’t really taking a position.
There’s a lot of misinformation out there in the ongoing story of Georgia politicians blasting Delta for their move. The correct way to see threats against Delta is as signaling to GOP primary voters. Although if Delta stops offering NRA discounts and fails to secure the fuel tax subsidies they’ve been lobbying for I’ll feel pretty good overall.
People are out there claiming Delta gives discounts to Planned Parenthood without doing their homework. But Delta doesn’t help matters refusing to talk about the kinds of organizations that receive discounts.
Delta spokesman Anthony Black also declined to comment and would not name any other groups that receive discounted fares from the airline.
Come on, Anthony. Let’s educate the public. Delta sets up discounts for meetings and events and for group travel in addition to offering corporations discounts in exchange for commitments of their travel and association discount deals (think the one United Airlines offers to Veterans Advantage members).
I get it. Delta doesn’t want to remind anyone of this old button right now:
But it’s easy for Delta to give examples of who gets discounts. And it’s even easier for reporters to figure it out without leaving the story as “we don’t know because Delta won’t say.” Just try, say, Googling “Delta 5% discount” and scroll through the results. You’ll find,
- Whistler Pride and Ski Festival
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers for their annual conference
- Military personnel get a discount on Delta vacation packages
- The Radiological Society of North America
- National Funeral Directors National Convention & Expo
- Association of Dominican Cigar Manufacturers
- Dwell on Design
- Olivia (“We bring women together on vacation”)
- Nexion (travel agency) for their conference
- Gynecological Oncology Group
- International Conference of Chabad-Lubavitch Shluchos
- Evangelical Lutheran Churches of America Youth Gathering
Among many others! And if you’re curious try googling “Delta Airlines discount” and whatever bogeyman group you might think of, or even specifying the website (“site:____”) of the group you’re interested in to see if they’ve published a discount.
That won’t bring up discounts that are behind members-only pages, but it will be able to answer the question.
Oh and Delta was the official airline of the Democratic National Convention in 1988. When the event was held in Atlanta.