News and notes from around the interweb:
- This couple paid off $44,000 in student loans in a year and a key tactic? Miles and points for their travel. (Of course it was Yana.)
We spent less on travel by about $2,000. We’re going to Ireland and Iceland and we are using points for our flights and some of our hotels. Otherwise, it would be really expensive.
- I got lots of pushback on my claims about how China can now push around US businesses but this Wall Street Journal piece now makes that same case. There’s a reason Marriott’s CEO is apologizing, and they’re firing people not even in China for the tweets they send.
- Hong Kong Airlines flight cleared for take-off while Cathay Pacific plane was crossing runway
- Etihad has grounded its fleet of 5 Airbus A330 freighters and asked pilots to take unpaid leave
Etihad Cargo, Abu Dhabi
- The first attempt to fly to Hawaii
- IHG raised the price of Intercontinental Ambassador status
- Singapore Airlines steward arrested at New Delhi airport for smuggling gold