On Thursday visa free transit was extended up to 144 hours for Beijing and broadened to include the Tianjin and Hebei regions.
Six ports of entry and departure are included:
- Beijing Capital International Airport
- Beijing’s West Railway Station
- Tianjin Binhai International Airport
- Tianjin International Cruise Home Port
- Shijiazhuang Zhengding International Airport
- Qinhuangdao Port
In fact you can enter any of these 6 places and depart from one of the others provided that:
- You are a citizen of one of 53 eligible countries
- You are entering from one country or region and departing for another country or region
With Chinese transit without visa you cannot be doing a straight turn, flying US-China-US. However you are eligible flying US-China-Hong Kong as the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region involves clearing passport control when coming from (and going to) China.
Citizens of these countries are eligible for the new 144 hour visa free transit: