Via One Mile at a Time Marriott’s first quarter 2018 promotion is out. You should register for it right away so you’ll earn the points if you happen to stay at least twice with Marriotts, and you won’t have to think about it again. Ever.
If you can believe it — and even though with Starwood and Marriott beginning to align their loyalty programs and being run together — Marriott’s offer is even less generous than Starwood’s.
Between January 16 and April 15 you’ll earn:
- 2000 bonus points per stay but only starting with your second stay
- 1000 additional points for stays that include a weekend night (Friday or Saturday night, but Thursday/Friday in the Mideast)
- Bonus points-earning capped at 50,000
This is a very similar promotion to Starwood’s — double points after the second stay and 500 additional points for weekend stays — but it’s worse.
- Full service Marriotts earn 10 points per dollar. 2000 points per stay is more generous up until your stay costs $200. That’s marginally better for a one night stay but not as good for most stays longer than a night.
- Marriott themselves say that Marriott Rewards are worth 1/3rd of a Starwood point. So they’re effectively giving you 333 Starpoints for stays including a weekend night, or one-third fewer bonus points than Starwood will give you.
- And they cap your earning. It’s not like this is a generous promotion to begin with but they’re making sure you don’t walk away with even a free night at their pricier properties.
Some commenters are suggesting they aren’t able to register for MA18 so perhaps there are other MegaBonus offers out there that will be more rewarding. Let me know what you get!
Regardless always register for these promotions, even when they’re weak, because extra points are always better than a hole in the head (‘lokh in kop’) as my grandfather used to say.