Over the weekend I wrote about American Airlines offering premium economy on certain Hawaii routes which will be operated by Boeing 777-200s. At the end of the post I showed a photo of the fully flat business class as well.
Eagle eyed commenter AG noticed that I used a photo of an American Airlines Boeing 777-200 with Zodiac seats and not Super Diamond seats and asked whether that’s what would be flying to Hawaii. Sharp eye!
American Airlines was helpful in helping to construct the full status of their Boeing 777-200 fleet and their upcoming plan. Indeed only one Boeing 777-200 so far has been retrofit with premium economy, and as I showed it has Zodiac seats. However the second one being retrofit is in process now (it flew up to Paine Field yesterday) and that one has Super Diamond seats.
So the answer is there’s no way to predict which business class seats you’ll get on a given flight — except if the seat map shows 45 seats rather than 37 then you know it’s the Zodiac seats.
Here’s the evolution of American’s Boeing 777-200 Fleet:
- American Airlines has 47 Boeing 777-200s. All planes that are in service have new fully flat business class seats with direct aisle access.
- 13 aircraft have 45 of the the Zodiac ‘Concept D’ seats and 215 coach seats. This is the planned legacy American Airlines configuration.
Boeing 777-200 Zodiac ‘Concept D’ Business Class
- The great thing about that subfleet isn’t just that it has more business class seats. It also still has Main Cabin Extra seats with more legroom in a 9-across configuration, and some of standard economy too. Density on the rest of the aircraft comes from 10-abreast seating in all of economy (including Main Cabin Extra).
- After US Airways management took over they decided on a ‘dense’ configuration (more seats) but they didn’t go back and retrofit the 777-200s that had already been given 45 business class seats.
- There are 5 planes that have 37 of the Zodiac concept D business class seats and 252 coach seats. This is the original ‘dense’ configuration that new management went with.
- Zodiac had production problems and failed to deliver seats on time. American Airlines sued and terminated their contract, selecting B/E Aerospace as their new seat provider.
- For business class they selected the ‘Super Diamond’ seat which is excellent, except that center seats have no divider between them.
- There are 26 planes that have 37 B/E Aerospace Super Diamond business class seats and 252 coach seats.
B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Class
American is installing their new premium economy seats in Boeing 777-200s. So far only one aircraft has this. The configuration is 37 Zodiac Concept D business class seats, 24 premium economy seats, and 212 coach seats. Premium economy comes at the expense of coach seats, not business class seats and is similar to domestic first class but with a foot rest or foot bar.
American Airlines Boeing 787-9 Premium Economy
In addition two 777-200s are currently receiving retrofits.
One plane with B/E Aerospace Super Diamond business class already is receiving a retrofit to add premium economy at Paine Field.
And one last plane is currently having the old angled business class seats replaced with Super Diamond business class seats in Hong Kong.
Old American Airlines Angled Business Class Seats
All 47 of American’s Boeing 777-200s will ultimately be retrofit to offer Premium Economy. A spokesperson tells me they intend to keep the 13 aircraft subfleet that has 45 business class seats.
I absolutely love the introduction of premium economy as a product. Eventually I expect it not to be great for upgrades (that in the future upgrades will be from coach to premium economy, and not to business class). And I absolutely love American’s direct aisle access seats, especially the new Super Diamond seats which are the best seats I’ve flown in business class.
The Boeing 777-200s are interesting because they run the gamut and tell a story of the evolution of American’s thinking over the past half dozen years.
Here’s the updated status of American’s 777-200 fleet:
|N773AN||45C / 215Y||Zodiac|
|N785AN||45C / 215Y||Zodiac|
|N788AN||45C / 215Y||Zodiac|
|N795AN||45C / 215Y||Zodiac|
|N798AN||45C / 215Y||Zodiac|
|N751AN||45C / 215Y||Zodiac|
|N754AN||45C / 215Y||Zodiac|
|N756AM||45C / 215Y||Zodiac|
|N757AN||45C / 215Y||Zodiac|
|N759AN||45C / 215Y||Zodiac|
|N760AN||45C / 215Y||Zodiac|
|N761AJ||45C / 215Y||Zodiac|
|N768AA||45C / 215Y||Zodiac|
|N770AN||37C / 252Y||Zodiac|
|N772AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N774AN||37C / 252Y||Zodiac|
|N775AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N776AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N777AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N778AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N782AN||37C / 252Y||Zodiac|
|N783AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N784AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N793AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N796AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N750AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N752AN||37C / 252Y||Zodiac|
|N753AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N755AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N765AN||37C / 252Y||Zodiac|
|N766AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N789AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N767AJ||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N797AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N791AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N762AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N786AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N787AL||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N771AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N792AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N799AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N758AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N780AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N790AN||37C / 252Y||B/E|
|N781AN||37C / 24W/ 212Y||Zodiac|
|N779AN||PE RETROFIT @ PAE||B/E|
|N794AN||B/E RETROFIT @ HKG||B/E|