Virgin Atlantic has launched a formal status match program. If you have elite status with another airline (but explicitly not Delta, which is 49% owner of Virgin Atlantic) and a future flight booked they’ll give you 12 months of elite status as a match to your current level.
- For Gold status your flight must be in Premium Economy or business class
- For Silver status any flight in any cabin will do
Copyright: boarding1now / 123RF Stock Photo
Virgin Atlantic hasn’t historically offered a status match program. They offered elite status through their sales department, and at one point had an ‘open registration’ link. More recently they offered status ‘challenges’: temporary silver status and fast track to gold.
Here are the airlines and status levels they are offering to match:
Of course Virgin’s elite status levels are relatively weak.
Silver status gets you:
- Premium Economy checkin, priority standby
- Access to No.1 Traveller Lounges
- Free economy seat assignments 14 days prior to departure
Gold status gets you:
- Lounge access (with 1 guest traveling with you) when flying Virgin Atlantic and one free spa treatment in the Heathrow lounge and a 10% discount on paid treatments as well as London arrivals lounge access (no guests).
- Extra baggage allowance plus premium checkin, boarding, and security (at London Heathrow and Gatwick) and similar when flying Delta.
- 2,000 miles on your birthday, gifting silver to a household member, one companion ticket, no date change fees on awards, and free seat assignments.
If you’d like Virgin Atlantic elite status and have a flight booked (or would consider making a forward-looking refundable one), it’s an offer to jump on. Just email Flying.Club.Support.UK@fly.virgin.com with a copy of your current frequent flyer elite statement/details “”showing routes you’ve travelled and tier points” along with your Virgin Atlantic Flying Club account number and “[d]etails of your future Virgin Atlantic booking.”
Terms and conditions:
To qualify for this offer, you must be an existing member of Flying Club or enrol in the Flying Club programme online or via our Customer Centre.
Your Flying Club Gold or Silver membership will be valid from 12 months from the date the account is upgraded.
Gold members will need to earn 1,000 tier points in the membership period to retain Gold status. Silver members will need to earn 400 tier points in the membership period to retain Silver status.
This offer cannot be transferred to any other traveller.
This offer is not applicable for SkyMiles Diamond and Medallion members.
Virgin Atlantic reserves the right to withdraw the offer at any time if deemed necessary.
Approval for the Gold and Silver membership is at the discretion of Virgin Atlantic Standard Flying Club terms & conditions apply.
(HT: The Unaccompanied Flyer)