News and notes from around the interweb:
- Why Air France pours complimentary bubbles in all classes of service oh and it’s proper champagne under French rules.
- Sean Penn got upgraded on Delta as a reward for not getting into a fight on a Los Angeles – New York JFK segment after two passengers asked him in an “aggressive and rude manner” to move his bags in the overhead bin.
After the guys jawed at Sean, we’re told he alerted the crew about what had gone down.
The crew decided to bump Sean and his daughter from economy to first class. Yes, economy.
- Here’s one for the lawyers among my readers: Amtrak was created by act of Congress.
It’s board is appointed by the President. And it receives significant subsidies. It leases its space at Union Station in Washington DC, and one of the terms it negotiated in its lease is that the station is not allowed to sell advertising to competitor transportation services.
Delta advertises in the station (generally) but doesn’t advertise its flights to New York and Boston and doesn’t advertise prices. Amtrak is suing to have Delta’s ads taken down as a violation of its lease. What do you think?
- American’s Express deal for exclusivity issuing US Hilton Honors credit cards isn’t expected to have a material impact on Amex earnings. (HT: Alan H.)
CEO Ken Chenault commented that the Hilton portfolio represents less than 1% of American Express’s global billed business. He added that the new agreement should have “no material impact” on earnings. To put the Hilton relationship in some context, Amex has said its co-brand partnership with Starwood represents 2% of billings and 5% of loans.
- Matthew laments the end of United widebody fifth freedom flights, since they’re introducing a second non-stop to Singapore we lose Hong Kong – Singapore.
The first time I ever flew United’s ‘new’ first class was on a Boeing 747 from Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh City. And I especially miss United flights 1 and 2 traveling around the world in opposite directions, at one point the routing was New York JFK – Los Angeles – Hong Kong – Delhi – London Heathrow – New York JFK.
There was a stop in Bangkok between Hong Kong and Delhi for awhile. And New York JFK was replaced with Washington Dulles (I used to take this flight domestically regularly). And LAX replaced San Francisco as well.
- Why therapists shouldn’t approve patients’ emotional support animals (HT: Paul H.)