I receive compensation for many links on this blog. You don’t have to use these links, but I am grateful to you if you do. American Express, Citibank, Chase, Capital One and other banks are advertising partners of this site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same).
Hilton is promiscuous, they partner with both Citbank on a Visa and American Express for their co-brand credit cards — at least for now, since the chain expects to pull the trigger on a new credit card deal this quarter.
Between November and January they offered a 5000 point bonus for paying for a stay by Visa.
Now they have a 7500 point bonus for paying for a stay with a Platinum Card by American Express.
- Valid for US cardholders only who have registered for their complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status provided by their card
- Earn bonus one time on a minimum two night stay at Hilton Honors property excluding Hampton Inns in Mainland China.
- Valid for stays May 7 through August 7 (check out by August 7)
- Registration required
You’ll want to use this on your least expensive eligible stay because credit card earning is only 1 Membership Rewards point per dollar. American Express increased hotel earning to 5 points per dollar for bookings made through American Express Travel but those do not earn points (they’re allowing their booking commissions to pay for the extra points earn). American Express offers hotel elite status — and now works with Hilton on a bonus — but you give up the benefits of both if you book through American Express for the extra points.
I value 1 Membership Rewards point at 1.8 cents. The opportunity cost of the spend is either:
- 12 Hilton Honors points per dollar with the Hilton Amex Surpass Card (which I value at 4.8 cents), or
- 3 points per dollar with Citi Prestige Card (also 4.8 cents) or the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card (or 2 points from the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card)
(HT: Running With Miles)