I receive compensation for many links on this blog. You don’t have to use these links, but I am grateful to you if you do. American Express, Citibank, Chase, Capital One and other banks are advertising partners of this site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same).
I thought I knew just about everything there is to know about making use of the benefits on my Citi Prestige Card. But then you have a forehead-smacking, “should’ve had a V-8!” moment.
One of the best deals in travel is the fourth night free hotel benefit from the Prestige Card. Here’s how it works:
- You book through the Citi Prestige Concierge
- These stays earn full points and stay credit.
- You pay at checkout with your Citi Prestige card
For bookings made by July 23 you receive a statement credit for the 4th night of the stay including taxes. For bookings made July 23 onward you receive a statement credit for the average daily rate for your stay, excluding taxes.
It offers tremendous value, but I really hate dealing with people on the phone. I do it because I can literally save a couple hundred bucks on a hotel stay.
I never knew, though, but as One Mile at a Time points out you can make 4th night free reservations by email.
Of course you book through the card’s concierge service. And you can deal with the concierge by email. Why didn’t I ever put two and two together to make hotel bookings this way?
- Email the concierge tam at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include the hotel, dates of your stay, the number of guests, and the room type you want to book
- Include your loyalty program rewards number so they can add it and you don’t need to go back and do it later, and include the last 4 digits of your Prestige Card.
- Finally, make sure to acknowledge any unique issues up front so you don’t need to keep emailing back and forth to confirm them. For instance, acknowledge that you know the resort fee of $X per night, that the booking is prepaid and non-cancellable, etc.
The email confirmation you get back will even include the amount you’ll have rebated to you after the stay.