News and notes from around the interweb:
- Club1 Hotels is a new site offering wholesale hotel rates. It’s normally paid membership but for a limited time they’re giving free one year memberships if you sign up now. And they’re giving away $500 in hotel credit to a reader of this blog. With far fewer entries than usual so far, odds are good, so enter.
- We’ve seen business class meal cutbacks on British Airways and now BA has announced that buy on board will replace meals in short haul economy.
British Airways will charge even for water, and unlike US airlines top tier members don’t get snacks or drinks for free. BA argues that passengers will get better food this way, since the existing food was so bad much of it was returned uneaten. The changes will go into effect for Heathrow and Gatwick flights January 11 and London City and Stansted come summer. Here’s the menu with pricing.
- App to give you free wifi codes at airports (HT: Marilyn B.)
- The opportunity to buy British Airways Avios at least than a penny apiece has been extended to February 3, 2017 (HT: Head for Points)
- United eliminating bake on board cookies in first class and replacing with ‘warm on board’. When an airline says they’re doing something “in response to feedback” you know (1) they’re at least sort of lying, and (2) they’re hoping you don’t notice you’re getting screwed.
- Lufthansa board approves full acquisition of Brussels Airlines