News and notes from around the interweb:
- Southwest now allows free same day standby for A-List (elites) but only for flights within 2 hours of original departure time making this useless on all but the most high frequency routes.
- Registration is now open for Starwood’s new promotion.
- With Amtrak subsidy Biden takes taxpayers for a ride
- Interesting factoid: SkyWest flew 56 million passengers last year, more than JetBlue and Spirit combined (Airline Weekly September 12)
- See something, say something: Now there’s an app for that in Los Angeles. What could possibly go wrong? As Bruce Schneier has said, “If you ask amateurs to act as front-line security personnel, you shouldn’t be surprised when you get amateur security.”
- Emirates evaluating premium economy and ancillary fees
- American Airlines won’t show Sully on board. That keeps with most airlines’ tradition of not showing plane crashes through inflight entertainment.