News and notes from around the interweb:
- United miles can now be used for award travel to Cuba some months after American changed their rules to allow it.
- $550 off the W Hotels Bed. I recommend the cheaper plush top with a feather bed rather than the pillow top, you don’t want your mattress to develop a ‘memory’ and you can change out the feather bed.
- The realism of the crash is incredible but here’s what the Sully movie gets wrong. Basically the movie needed protagonists so it made the NTSB investigators the bad guys, which just seems off for a film that goes to great lengths to get so many details right.
- The best inflight celebrity encounters
- The new Uber deal in Quebec is surprisingly restrictive — fees to the city, drivers must have taxi drivers licenses, surge pricing capped at 1.5x during emergencies (precisely when supply is most limited so people can’t get rides), can’t undercut taxi minimum fares.
Taxi drivers are furious, and are considering going on strike so that of course the only option to get around would become Uber…
- First class seats get sold instead of going to upgrades. Delta survives on operational performance, not its frequent flyer program. But when other airlines devalue their programs too there’s no longer a reason to choose them when they can’t match Delta’s operation. Plus the best rewards credit card programs.