On Friday I wrote about United fares between US hub cities and Southeast Asia for less than $500 roundtrip. These fares are still around, and it gets even better.
I noted that you can fly Newark, Chicago, San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles, and Houston. So mostly from United hubs, which is unusual, fares like this are almost always used to attack the hubs of other airlines. (For a little more fares are available from other cities as well.)
Fantastic Pho at Pho Hoa, Ho Chi Minh City
You can travel to Ho Chi Minh City, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Taipei, Manila, or Jakarta. Fares start at $419 roundtrip.
The Flight Deal notes that you can book an open jaw itinerary for even less — fly into one city and back from another from $355.
That’s great because:
- If you go all that way you probably want to visit more than one city anyway
- Intra-Asia fares can be super cheap
Here’s an example for Chicago – Ho Chi Minh City, and Back from Bangkok:
Here’s the fare breakdown. The return from Bangkok has a $50 base fare.
- Travel must be Monday through Thursday for each transpacific flight.
- This is available for outbound travel September 1 through December 9
- Must fly transpacific on United or ANA. Intra-asia segments may be on other Star Alliance airlines.
- There doesn’t appear to be a minimum stay requirement however there’s a 12 month maximum stay.
- 2 stopovers are permitted, one in each direction, for an extra $100 each (though the stopover may not be in Guam presumably to avoid cabotage issues)
- 6 transfers are permitted in each direction (1 in Canada, 2 in the U.S., and 3 in Asia)
- There’s a $300 change fee
Eating in the Bangrak District of Bangkok
You can book similar trips like New York – Vietnam / Bangkok – New York or San Francisco – Jakarta and back from Bangkok for less than $400.