News and notes from around the interweb:
- The new American Express Centurion lounge in Houston opens today. I attended the pre-opening party on Wednesday evening and at the time it hadn’t received all final inspections (e.g. security to allow access airside). Those inspections were completed yesterday so the lounge is open to guests today!
- Uber is working to replace surge pricing with total trip pricing. Like Delta, there’ll be no more award chart, the price is whatever they quote on any given trip — so it’s no longer 2x, 3x, or 10x. It just is.
- Man boarding Delta flight home discovers he’s the only passenger.
I’ve never been alone in a plane, though I’ve been alone in first class. I was one of 3 passengers flying New York – Cincinnati once when I was a kid. And Flying New Year’s morning in 2000 (Y2K!) everyone was so scared that my transcon 777 was empty enough for the entire plane to get upgrades.
- US airline CEOs are all promising a future of unending big profits but no one believes them. American CEO Doug Parker explicitly calls this a leap of faith for good reason.
- Iran admits they’re using their announced deal with Boeing to leverage Europe on Airbus.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said he hopes that Tehran’s deal with Boeing will pave the way for completing another contract with Airbus.
..”We thought to speed up our ties with Airbus, we should make a deal with Boeing first. Now we feel the situation is ripe for both,” said Foreign Minister Zarif in a meeting with the foreign affairs commission of the French Senate in Paris, according to Iran’s ILNA news agency.
- Through September 5 Silvercar is offering 25% off rentals of 4 or more days with promo code SUNSHINE.
First time Silvercar users get $25 when referred by someone and the referrer does too. As usual you’re welcome to leave your own referral links in the comments.