News and notes from around the interweb:
- oneworld carrier SriLankan is selling four Airbus A350s to raise cash.
- Best rates booking direct? Well that didn’t last long. Hotel chains are starting to offer their loyalty program discounts to certain travel agents. Hyatt and IHG are both doing this. According to Hyatt,
The Hyatt Gold Passport member discount rewards members for their loyalty, and many of our members book their travel through our valued agency and corporate partners. The discount has always been available to these agencies, and we have taken steps to make it seamless for agencies to book it for our members and their clients.
- 250 free Qatar Airways Qmiles and up to 100,000 bonus miles.
- BWI Airspace Lounge closing, being replaced by another lounge next month?
- Qantas recently introduced family leave for elite status so members don’t lose their status while on hiatus from work and caring for new children in the family. Iberia is adding something similar albeit for mothers only.
It will extend the validity of the Iberia Plus card for one year for women who are pregnant or have a baby and who therefore can’t maintain their flying time and lose their card level.
Female frequent travellers who wish to maintain the level of their Iberia Plus card for an extra year can submit a medical certificate of pregnancy or a birth certificate
- Cathay Pacific considering purchase of 25% stake in Virgin Australia
- Why airlines overbook flights
- Paris closing the Champs-Élysées to cars on the first Sunday of each month because climate change. I spent New Year’s there three years ago when the street was closed to cars.