News and notes from around the interweb:
- British Airways survey finds New York and Glasgow accents are world’s sexiest. “In other news, people who take British Airways surveys have very little idea of what it means to be sexy.”
- $15 off $150 already-discounted Hotwire hotel stays
- Video of Paris Hilton trapped in a hotel elevator in China
- Pilot had to abort takeoff as LAX employee drove onto active runway
- Wendy Perrin’s “10 Genius Travel Tips You’ve Never Heard Before” most will be new to TripAdvisor’s readers, though this blog’s readers will pick up only a couple that are new. My contribution is number 3:
Save cash when your flight is delayed.
When you’re delayed overnight or an airline loses your luggage, you may be covered for unexpected expenses. Call the credit card company you used to purchase your tickets: Many premium credit cards come with flight-delay and baggage-delay coverage that can reimburse the cost of an unexpected hotel room, meals, or the cash needed for incidentals while you’re without your bag.
—Gary Leff, founder, View From The Wing
- How to Get a Refund When You’re Bumped from First Class
If you’re getting nowhere with an attempt to get miles refunded, just hang up and call back, advises Gary Leff of Book Your Award. Sometimes a new agent can quickly fix what seems like an intractable problem.
- I appeared on Friday’s episode of Boom Bust discussing the United-Continental merger, fuel hedges, and why it’s so difficult to consistently make money investing in airlines.