News and notes from around the interweb:
- An aircraft cleaning worker at the Lagos, Nigeria airport found a lost bag with $60,000 in it.. and gave it back. She was roundly mocked by colleagues and on social media for not keeping the money. But her salary has been doubled to $80 per month as a reward.
- Mommy Points is giving away American Express Centurion Lounge passes
- And here’s a giveaway of Star Alliance Gold status (HT: Irfaan S)
- The DFW Airport Yoga Studio
- Denver airport has a pop up beer garden through September 27. There’s live music, picnic tables, and it’s $10 to sample 10 two ounce beers.
- After a recent string of technical glitches fouled flights across multiple airlines, it’s worth considering that we should probably expect more of that rather than less in the near term.
“I would expect that airlines are going to need to make some major IT investments – much of the IT at legacy airlines is built on systems that were built on systems that date back 50 years,” says Gary Leff, aviation expert behind The View from the Wing… Leff does attribute United’s issues to the United-Continental merger, when United moved its system over to the, “cheaper Continental system. That was a huge mistake given what it has cost them in lost operational performance and lost sales.”
This makes Delta’s operational performance that much more impressive.
- Scott Mayerowitz and David Koenig report that the CEOs of American and Delta got a meeting with Secretary of State John Kerry to pursue their attempt to block competition and consumer choice and raise prices in international aviation markets.
- Etihad and SAS are now partners. And so grows the fourth global alliance.