News and notes from around the interweb:
- An airline’s new mobile app will be ‘inspired by’ Tinder
- Yesterday I wrote that pre-order meal functionality had disappeared from American’s website. It’s not coming back until November. The gap seems to coincide with bringing US Airways flights into American’s platform (we are now literally just inside the 30 day window until legacy US Airways flights become American flights and thus the 30 day meal ordering window for those flights). That said, I do not know for certain the two issues are related, it simply seems likely.
- The most amazing abandoned airports in the world. I’ve written about Nicosia in Cyprus and Yasser Arafat International Airport in the Gaza Strip before. I’d probably include Berlin Brandenburg airport in the list…
- 25,000 United miles for buying a used Mercedes
- A Virgin Atlantic plane’s wing hit a fence yesterday at New York JFK. Perhaps the pilots were distracted by having supermodel Bella Hadid onboard?
- Academic paper shows that Uber’s surge pricing works the way it’s supposed to keeping wait times within a very narrow band even at the most popular times. (HT: Marginal Revolution) Meanwhile, Uber has filed an anti-trust lawsuit against a city that… voted to allow the service.