News and notes from around the interweb:
- How the TSA sells the banned items you leave behind at the checkpoint
- Can Lyft pull out an Avis? It’s hard being number 2 as a tech company. Avis “tried harder” although sadly they no longer do.
- If airlines were colluding to raise price, why have over 80% of attempted price increases failed? (Yes, the DOJ is investigating airlines colluding on capacity as an indirect way to drive up price, but it’s noteworthy they’ve been unable to collude directly to raise price.)
- American will starting flying its 787s Los Angeles – Shanghai on October 5 and Los Angeles – Sao Paulo on November 5.
- I had a great time yesterday going on Fox News Happening Now on a panel with Ben Schlappig of One Mile at a Time and Jamie Larounis of The Forward Cabin. The only problem, I suppose is that the topic was the DOJ’s investigation of airline collusion and none of us thought much of it based on currently available evidence. There just wasn’t any controversy!
- Video footage of Manfred von Richthofen, the Red Baron, the German World War I flying ace credited with 80 victories in air combat. (HT: J.K.)