Via MileCards, there are several changes coming to the American Express Business Gold Rewards card.
- Effective January 30, instead of earning 3 points per dollar on airfare and 2 points for certain advertising, on shipping; at
US gas stations; and from select computer hardware, software, and cloud computing providers, you’ll be able to choose which one of these categories you’d prefer to earn 3 points per dollar in, with the rest earning double. If you don’t buy tons of airfare, you might prefer 3 points per dollar at gas stations for instance.
- Starting January 23, additional cards enrolled in their own Membership Rewards account will earn credit in those accounts for bonus points. Currently bonus points can only be earned by the primary cardmember.
- Bonus categories will no longer double dip (can no longer earn bonuses for the same purchase in more than one category)
- A given statement’s bonus points will be forfeited if you don’t pay your bill on time.
Airfare is well bonused already by the Premier Rewards Gold card that I still have (despite the loss of the 10,000 bonus points each year for putting $30,000 spend on the card .. I’m waiting to see what new benefits come online there) as well as Chase products like Sapphire Preferred. And gas earns double points with my Ink Plus card. I don’t have a lot of advertising, shipping, or computer purchases.
So it’s unlikely this change is going to cause me to pick up the card and use it on an ongoing basis.
But there are certainly several folks who will want triple points in one of the bonused categories.
- You can join the 40,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!