News and notes from around the interweb:
- Chinese man earns 422 million Amex points with one purchase. He bought a ceramic cup at auction, and earned a a fairly inflated Chinese American Express points with his Centurion card.
If you ask me, it’s not a very efficient way to earn points — unless he can turn around and re-sell the cup for more than he paid for it net of auction fees. It’s unlikely he’ll go that route, though, considering he didn’t even know his Amex card earned points.
- Purchase by tomorrow and travel between August 1 and September 1 and Virgin America will give you 20% off paid non-refundable main cabin select and first class fares. (HT: Lucky) Not as good as 50% off paid first class, but with the promotion some West Coast first class fares will start at less than $170. And it stacks with their generous new member offer which will net you up to 8000 bonus miles.
- Didn’t realize: the Airspace Lounge in San Diego is open to American Admirals Club members (in addition to American Express Platinum cardholders) and is even staffed with American reservations agents.
- Should travelers avoid flying airlines that have had crashes in the past? (Surprisingly, no.)
- You can join the 40,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!