News and notes from around the interweb:
- American is eliminating elite-only Dynamic Air Awards that let you book non-changeable economy travel in the Continental U.S. for a variable points price based on the cost of the ticket. I never found these to be how I’d want to use my miles anyway..
- Southwest Airlines expects loyalty members to be loyal to them. And they’re coming to collect.
It’s an Onion piece, but apparently done in conjunction with Southwest. And pretty funny, because it’s the Onion. But a bit ironic considering their points devalue this month.
- Mark your calendar for Noon eastern on Friday, I’ll be participating on twitter in a chat about miles and points (hash tag “#TravelSkills“) hosted by Johnny Jet and Chris McGinnis. It runs for an hour. Should be a lot of fun.
- TSA agent covers himself with an American flag to prevent being filmed. There’s an interesting assortment of TSA photos and video, and an opportunity to submit your own, at the TSA Security Theater Tumblr site.
- My link for the Southwest Airlines 50,000 point signup bonus is no longer active, but Free Frequent Flyer Miles has a link that’s still working under ‘What’s New’.
- Reduced AAdvantage award holds? American AAdvantage has one of the most generous award hold policies out there. When I started in the hobby 30 day holds were standard, then reduced to 14, and then 5 or 3. Many programs (United, Delta, Alaska) don’t officially allow ‘holding’ an award itinerary at all any longer. American’s policy is to allow 5 day holds which is great for transferring in points from other programs and for coordinating other aspects of an award trip or other portions of air booked with cash or miles in another program. There are reports though that holds of space on Iberia are being limited to 24 hours.
- You can join the 30,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!