News and Notes from Around the Interweb:
- A federal court ruled that the TSA and FBI have qualified immunity over their detention of a US citizen and Middle East Studies student who attempted to fly while in possession of Arabic language flash cards and a book critical of US foreign policy. The TSA had already confirmed this individual was not armed or carrying explosives prior to the detention.
- Long-time reader Alex P. is raising funds to travel to Liberia to perform medical services there. He’s also raffling off an Amazon gift card to folks who support his efforts.
- If you have an American Express Platinum card, you only have until December 31 to request free Hilton Gold status. You also need to use up this year’s $200 airline fee credit by then, but remember that amount resets January 1!
- Cathay Pacific is offering one-way business class fares from the Maldives to the US for as little as $1250. It’s not a mistake, just a sale, you must originate in the Maldives but this can be booked roundtrip as well.
- You can join the 30,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!