The Air France KLM Flying Blue Program has new promo awards out to double the usual number of destinations and for a full five months of travel.
So in many ways much better than past promo award offerings, hence calling it “The Great Take-Off” although many destinations are discounted only 25% and not a full 50%.
Book between October 30 and November 30 for travel November 1 through March 31.
North America-Europe business class offerings are:
- Europe-Boston for 46,875 miles each way on Air France
- Europe-Cancun for 46,875 miles each way on Air France
- Europe-Chicago for 31,250 miles each way on KLM
- Europe-Detroit for 46,875 miles each way on Air France
- Europe-Houston for 31,250 miles each way on Air France
- Europe-Montreal for 46,875 miles each way on Air France
- Europe-New York JFK for 46,875 miles each way on Air France
- Europe-Vancouver for 31,250 miles each way on KLM
- Europe-Washington Dulles for 46,875 miles each way on Air France
These awards do not just include the long haul flights, but will include connecting flights in Europe to and from your final destination. It can be (but is not always) worth it to start and end at the U.S. city that’s discounted if you can get a cheap paid ticket to and from that gateway.
The cities on offer for 46,875 miles each way are 93,750 roundtrip — 25% off, and only discounted by 6250 miles compared to the usual price before Flying Blue increased redemption pricing back in April.
For intra-Europe travel, there are deals like anywhere in Europe to and from Geneva for 5000 miles each way, and anywhere in Europe to and from Kiev for 7500 miles each way.
Blackout dates generally apply for travel before Christmas and right after the New Year.
31,250 miles for a one-way Europe-US award is of course 50% off, whereas prior to their April announcement one-way business class would have been discounted to 25,000 miles.
Still a good deal all around, relative to usual pricing, and Flying Blue is a transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards. In my experience points usually although not always transfer instantly.
The Flying Blue program adds fuel surcharges to awards although along with award price increases they also reduced somewhat the fuel surcharges to tack onto award tickets.
Promo awards can only be booked online, and cannot be changed or cancelled.