Over the weekend I shared an amazing fare on Qatar Airways that I said would be great for mileage running — earning American Airlines miles and American status — once Qatar joined oneworld.
Well, the oneworld website now says that will happen on October 30.
It’s been a rocky road getting here.
Qatar used to be a United partner.
Word leaked a year ago that Qatar was expected to join oneworld. (Incidentally, a one-year transition into an alliance is very fast – I generally expect at least 18 months.)
Back in May we learned that the launch date would be in October and indeed, October 30 is still October.
Lucky offers a list of reasons why this is great. My own list is very similar.
- Another airline that becomes eligible for American’s distance-based awards
- Another airline to redeem short non-stop flights on using British Airways Avios (hopping around the Middle East)
- Another great award ticket routing to the Maldives (much more efficient than flying from the US via Asia)
- Access to the Premium Terminal in Doha for American’s Executive Platinums, regardless of class of service (unless this is somehow excluded, a la British Airways’ Concorde Room).
I’m looking forward to it, even though Qatar only offers first class service on a handful of routes (none of which are to and from the U.S.).
Qatar flies to New York, Washington Dulles, Chicago, Houston, and Montreal. They start service to Philadelphia April 2.
- You can join the 30,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. Don’t miss out!