All pretty much as expected:
- bmi is no longer a member of the Star Alliance.
- Star Alliance benefits such as lounge access continue through May 31.
- Star Alliance earn and burn (excluding Lufthansa group airlines) continues through May 31.
- Can credit British Airways flights to bmi accounts effective today. Redemption on BA will come soon. BA lounge access for bmi elites starts today.
- On May 1, bmi elites will be offered equivalent elite status with British Airways. I’ll become a British Airways Gold member, which will get me access to American’s Flagship lounges regardless of class of service when flying domestically in the U.S.
- bmi miles will transfer 1:1 into British Airways Avios, and points can be moved back and forth between the two programs online effective July 3. Assuming the bmi award chart doesn’t change, there will be a great limited time opportunity to use BA points much more effectively for premium cabin long-haul, since the bmi chart (and cash and points award chart) is much more generous. Developing…
Seriously we’ll have to wait to see what changes are made between now and July 3 when points transfers both ways between British Airways and bmi are expected to go into effect.
But I can’t wait to move British Airways points over to bmi, to redeem flights on British Airways using the bmi award chart. Think one-way business class from the U.S. to South Africa (e.g. Los Angeles – London – Johannesburg) for 37,500 miles and 255 British pounds as a cash and points redemption, plus taxes and fuel surcharges.