Christopher Elliott interview’s the TSA’s Blogger Bob though unfortunately he tosses mostly softballs like,
- [What are the] qualifications for working at TSA. Also, how much training do agents get?
- [H]ow do you like working for the TSA.
- What are the most unusual items TSA officials have discovered in a pat-down?
- How do you feel about alliteration?
- If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be? (Ok, just kidding about that one)
When he does let a ‘tough question’ get through, he doesn’t ask any follow-ups. So he passes along a reader question, “Does the TSA believe it is making America safer? Can you name any specific, recent threats that TSA has stopped?” and lets Blogger Bob get away with “[Federal Air Marshals] have interceded on many flights to stop aggressive actions by passengers” and offers no follow-ups on how many of these ‘aggressive actions’ were by, you know, [i]terrorists[/i] and how many were drunk passengers? And why let Blogger Bob take credit for air marshalls even, instead of pressing for the number of terrorists they’ve actually every caught (zero)?
And when Blogger Bob argues that the “335 Transportation Security Officers [who] have been terminated for theft” represent just a few bad apples, he gets away with it.
Christopher Elliott, meet Larry King.