Star Alliance airlines ANA and United — with flights within North America sometimes on Air Canada — are offering business class roundtrips between Toronto or Vancouver and Singapore for less than $2000.
For instance here’s Vancouver – Singapore one-stop via Tokyo for $1940 roundtrip.
Here’s an all-United itinerary for $37 more:
Here’s United from Toronto for under $2000, in contrast Air Canada transpacific is running ~ $5000 for the same dates.
Key details of fare basis PKX4ZDM0:
- Travel permitted Monday through Thursday for each transpacific flight.
- Departure must be between May 1 and July 14
- Tickets must be issued by February 14 but I don’t expect the fare to last that long
- A stopover in Asia is allowed in each direction for CAD$100 apiece
- 6 month maximum stay
- Non-refundable with CAD$450 change fee
Availability of this fare is excellent.
It’s a great opportunity to see Singapore, one of my favorite cities — or to use it as a jumping off point for visiting other cities in Asia. And the deal is good enough that it may make sense to position to Canada for this fare.
Interestingly someone without United MileagePlus elite status is far better off booking ANA (on an ANA ticket) than booking United in terms of mileage-earning. United will credit 150% of flown miles on an ANA ‘P’ fare or about 24,000 redeemable miles roundtrip for Vancouver to Singapore via Tokyo. In contrast at 5 points per dollar you’re earning a little over 9000 redeemable miles for the United flight credited to MileagePlus.