Uber has released a Lost and Found Index and they’re sharing details on what customers report having lost inside rideshare vehicles. And since they’re into big data they drill down into where people are losing things, and when things get lost.
The most common items to lose when you take an Uber are (in order): Phone; Ring; Keys; Wallet; Glasses; Purse; License / ID; Gloves/ Glove; Charger; Sunglasses.
I get ‘small things that fall out of your pocket’ as well as things you lose or carry into the car. I’m surprised umbrellas don’t make the list. I’m not sure why people are taking out their wallets and IDs for cashless rides, however.
Big cities are ‘the most forgetful cities.’ Except that Uber doesn’t define this, and I suspect they’re reporting total losses rather than losses per ride so you’d expect more people, more rides, more items lost. Hence Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Chicago and Miami are the top 5 cities for lost item reports.
People lose things most on the weekend, though Sunday more than Saturday, perhaps this just means Sunday as in ‘the wee hours of Saturday overnight’ when they’re drunk. People lose the most stuff between Thanksgiving and New Years, supporting my theory — holiday revelry (drunk).
There’s also a correlation between day of week and lost items:
- Sundays see the biggest spike in lost wedding dresses.
- Mondays see an increase in lost skateboards.
- Tuesdays people lose swimsuits (!), here I’d expect the weekend
- Wednesdays Uber sees “the biggest spike in lost notebooks” but is this journaling notebooks or laptop computers?
- People lose suitcases at the end of the consultant work week on Thursdays, and the beginning of long weekend leisure travel.
- People lose their briefcases on Fridays (when they leave work and go out drinking perhaps)
- People lose their plane tickets on Saturdays, I’m going to call bull on this one, people don’t carry paper tickets anymore. At most they lose printed copies of their itineraries but who cares enough to report those lost?
Here are the “50 Most Unique Items Forgotten in Ubers”
Valuable Nordic Walking Poles
Sweet potato care package
Crime & Punishment book
Corn hole boards
Back massage device
Harry Potter glasses
I cannot say I’ve ever lost anything inside of an Uber, Lyft, Fasten or other ridesharing service — not even an umbrella. Have you?