News and notes from around the interweb:
- Really good deal. Join Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan and get 5000 miles with your first flight on either Alaska or Virgin America.
- Please wait until you land to do heroin. JetBlue flight was forced to turn back after passenger overdosed.
- How we can infer that the electronics ban is bogus: Neither Germany, France, Australia, New Zealand, nor Canada have implemented an electronics ban — despite evaluating evidence that the US is supposedly looking at. The UK was willing to implement an electronics ban but not willing to apply it to flights from the UAE or Qatar. If we’re stuck deferring to national security judgments based on secret evidence, then shouldn’t we respect the judgments of all of these countries?
- You wouldn’t think this was notable, but.. Boeing is paying federal income tax for the third year in a row. Of course corporate income taxes are really just pre-taxes on the returns to investment…
- Expertflyer now lets you set alerts for changes in flight schedules. Remember that schedule changes can get you free cancellation/refunds of your tickets, or let you leverage a connection into a non-stop flight.
Have you ever had an unexpected schedule change or missed connection because the airline changed the time of your flight without notifying you? .. Flight Schedule Alerts will monitor a flight for any schedule or airport changes and notify you if a change is made by the airline.
You can set the sensitivity of the alert to only let you know when the scheduled time of the flight has changed by at least 5, 15, or 30 minutes or 1-2 hours
- Boeing does cold weather testing of new planes at Yakutsk Airport in Russia — where it’s regularly 40 below in winter. By comparison, testing in Barrow, Alaska is for pikers.