For a long time American AAdvantage has offered status ‘challenges’ that:
- Do not require you to already have status with another airline
- You pay for
These allow you to earn elite status more quickly with travel over a compressed period of time.
There have also been targeted offers or periods of time where American would extend status temporarily while completing a challenge. But challenges usually haven’t given status until the challenge was complete.
Now that American has introduced a revenue requirement for earning elite status in 2017, they’ve apparently revamped their elite status challenges. Here’s the apparent new details of the Platinum challenge:
There are three options:
Platinum Challenge with no bump in status while on the challenge = $200
Platinum Challenge with Gold during the challenge = $400
Platinum Challenge with Platinum during the challenge = $500
You must do 12,500 EQM or 16 Segments during the challenge, as well as $2000 EQD.
The interesting here is that the Platinum challenge was $200 before. Now there are more expensive options that include some elite status while undergoing the challenge.
And they’ve added a $2000 elite qualifying dollar requirement in addition to the 12,500 mile requirement for Platinum (the mileage requirement is the same as before).
And of course Platinum status is no longer as valuable as it used to be — it’s no longer one level below top tier (Platinum Pro 75,000 mile status has been introduced above it), domestic upgrades now begin to process 48 ours prior to travel rather than 72 hours, and bonus miles for flights have been reduced from 100% to 60%.
Here are the key benefits of American AAdvantage Platinum:
- Complimentary upgrades on flights under 500 miles, subject to availability
- 60% bonus on travel flown
- Upgrades with 500 mile certificates, confirmed as much as 48 hours prior to departure
- Priority check-in, security, baggage, and boarding
- Two free checked bags
- Complimentary standby
- Complimentary main cabin extra
- Waived close-in award booking fee
- Lounge access when traveling internationally