News and notes from around the interweb:
- Yesterday morning I wrote Please help: I need 100,000 miles and 50 nights to requalify for elite status. Mommy Points disagrees, she says get off the elite treadmill, you don’t need those 50 nights and 100,000 miles this year.
- Eight Ways to Save on Travel in 2017 (New York Times so best to open in an incognito window so it doesn’t count against your free articles for the month.) They link to one of my posts on Delta’s devaluations and offer good advice like the low award fees in Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer.
- New Qatar pajamas for premium cabin passengers
- How hotel companies launch a new brand “Tub or shower only? What goes in the minibar?” (Wall Street Journal, HT: Bryan)
Why the bumper crop of new brands? In many cities, the big hotel companies, like Hilton and Marriott International Inc., already have so many properties under their existing brands that they need to launch new ones to keep growing…
- Man who kind of looks like the late Fidel Castro removed from Aeroflot flight after screaming he could see devils and everyone was going to die. So yeah, wait until you get home to do that.
- This is a year old, but I just discovered it — G-d tells a televangelist his faith requires him to fly private.