News and notes from around the interweb:
- Mark your calendar for the DC frequent traveler meetup on December 12. It’s free and there are prizes.
- American has finished repainting the legacy US Airways mainline fleet. Main Cabin Extra seats and inflight power, of course, not so much.
Credit: American Airlines
- Qatar Airways is offering paid premium cabin passengers Bentley transfers in Sydney. Earlier this year I splurged on a Bentley airport transfer from the W Doha for about $65, since I had never been in a Bentley. I wasn’t super-impressed.
- Airbnb and Homeaway are hitting back against fines in Barcelona
- Allocating Airport Slots – The History of Early Applied Experimental Research a little light weekend reading as it were.
- The long-delayed Park Hyatt Bangkok is said to be opening in March. However they aren’t yet taking reservations, so I’d still put the property in the category of coming ‘soon’. I wouldn’t be surprised to see rates here of THB10,000++. But you’re darned right I’m excited to see what they’ve done.
- Massachusetts Senators Elizabeth Warren and Ed Markey, along with two House members, sent a letter to JetBlue asking them to install vortex generators on the Airbus A320s flying into Boston in order to reduce noise. (HT: @MattSoleyn) We know that only a small number of people actually complaint about aircraft noise and that vortex generators can reduce noise by 2 decibels. A whisper is 15 decibels.