Turkish Airlines is offering 40% off all economy and business class tickets booked today for travel from the U.S. through April 15.
All destinations except Turkey and Northern Cyprus (which Turkey claims as its own) are on sale. But the truth is you probably don’t want to go to Turkey right now anyway unless you want to be accused of being a follower of Fethullah Gülen. (Had as many people supported the coup in Turkey as have been purged for supporting the coup, the coup would have easily succeeded.)
I do feel comfortable connecting in Istanbul though. The airport’s security is very good, indeed even when there was a plot against the airport over the summer it was pulled off only before security.
Travel on Turkish Airlines is unsurprisingly down, because travel to Turkey is down. That makes a 40% discount not just possible but advisable. And doing it for one day only picks up incremental business while offering it over a holiday weekend helps prevent trading off with business travel they would otherwise pick up. What’s more, by offering this to connecting traffic only that allows Turkish Airlines to compete heavily on price where customers have a world of other options without undercutting the price premium they’ll earn from passengers who actually are traveling to Turkey and doing so non-stop.
Of course, award space on Turkish Airlines remains very good. Here’s 8 passengers from Chicago to Istanbul over the summer. Dotted lines mean there’s at least 8 business class award seats available and solid lines mean at least 8 coach seats available:
I think Turkish Airlines is a very good airline overall. They have a great lounge in Istanbul. There’s billiards, golf, a race track, and a movie room with popcorn machine. They even provide complimentary hotel stays to economy passengers forced to overnight in Istanbul by the Turkish schedule.
Terms and conditions:
- Discounts are available for all destinations that are included in the campaign. You only need to choose a date and destination to benefit from the campaign.
- The campaign only includes the flights from United States.
- There are no quantity restriction for buying tickets during the campaign.
- The campaign only includes flights originating from the United States to all Turkish Airlines destinations except for Turkey and the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
- The 40% discount is only applied to the base fare of the tickets and there will be no discount on the fuel surcharge and other taxes.
- The campaign is available for Economy Class and Business Class booking.