News and notes from around the interweb:
- It’s spreading: It’s not just Delta, United and in 2017 American that will require minimum spend (‘elite qualifying dollars’) in addition to miles flown for status. LAN will impose minimum spend requirements for status as well. (In Spanish, use Google translate)
- An economist from Bahrain, Omar Al-Ubaydli, scratches his head at the complaints by Delta et al about Etihad, Emirates and Qatar. Since when are government-backed airlines harder to compete against? History suggests such airlines are less efficient easier targets. And maybe if Delta wasn’t so subsidized it would actually offer better service.
- Earlier this week Senator Ted Cruz was number 18 on the United upgrade list to DC. His wife was #20. (HT: Adam W.) Guess he’s not as important to United as the Chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey was.
Ted and Heidi Cruz in the first row of Economy Plus on the 8:50 a.m. United flight from Houston to DCA. The senator was eating an egg and sausage sandwich. He was No. 18 on the upgrade list! That’s what flying private during the campaign gets you. Upgrade list photo http://bit.ly/2frZUAO
- Earn 5 AAdvantage miles a day for commenting on a blog, do it even once and you’ll extend the life of your American Airlines miles for 18 months.
- 25 free Hertz points, extend expiration.
- Free parking at DFW airport for Thanksgiving